Friday, January 6, 2012

Dear Children,

In the city, there live many grown ups.  Some are older, some are younger but they are all grown ups.  Being a grown up means one has to learn how to take care of themselves.  These grown ups take care of themselves by working so that they could get money and buy food, pay for a house, water, electricity and other necessities.  Some grown ups are very lucky because they get to buy much much more.  You may think that they are lucky but in fact, they worked really hard for their money.  You may one day grow up too, not sure about the money, but you need to know how to take care of yourself.  Above and beyond, you need to learn how to take care of others too.

How's life in the Ashram?  I'm sure aside from your studies (yes I know, sometimes books can be so boring...),  you get some playtime with your friends, brothers and sisters and I'm sure you enjoy it very much.  Grown ups don't have much time for play.  They do have a lot of social events though, they meet, eat, drink and be merry.  I think grown ups are generally happy.  But they seldom talk to each other about their feelings though.  You must be wondering why.  I wonder why too.  I guess it's because they're afraid their friends will laugh at them if they tell them that they are happy because the clouds are puffy or sad because they didn't do well in something.  Have you been sad too?  Yes, I know, it's a terrible terrible feeling.  Grown ups learned to be very careful with their feelings because you must understand they have gone through a lot.  They may not be as excited, as honest, as genuine as before, but they are generally happy.  Sometimes when something good happens to them, they even wonder why!  How queer is that!  They seem afraid.  I don't know how to explain this to your young mind, but yes... even when they're given the most delicious mouth-watering chocolate cake, they wouldn't charge forward like you do!  Funny right?  I do that too.  Sometimes :) And yes, I find that funny too.  What are you afraid of?  I'm afraid of cockroaches.

How do you like the new colourful bedsheets that the grown ups have given you?  I hope you enjoy sleeping on them.  It's important to get a good rest every night.  My father used to tell me that, but I didn't believe him.  All I wanted to do was to stay up late.  I didn't have anything to do but I just wanted to stay up late like a grown up.  Now I learned that it was pointless.  I should have just gone to bed and sleep.  Because that's when we dream.  Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's sad, sometimes it's just weird.  But it's really important to get a good rest, so that you can wake up the next day, be happy, take care of yourself and take care of others.  Won't you want to help me take care of some grown ups too?  It's Christmas.  I think they've forgotten what it feels like to be children.  That's why they are afraid :) Won't you help me write a little note to them to show them that you are thinking of them too?  Won't you help me to remind them that they were once brave, pure, curious and hopeful like you?  Then they will be brave, pure, curious and hopeful to do all sorts of wonderful things for the new year.  I think they will really like that.  They may not say it out loud, but trust me, they will love it.  Grown ups don't like to talk about feelings remember?

So... thank you Children.  For helping me.  It's really tough to think of Christmas presents for grown ups.  Because they have everything!  But the most important things, like how the Little Prince had put it, are invisible to the eye.  And those are the most difficult presents to buy.  I suppose your little note will be the most wonderful present they can ever receive.  Because unlike the bedsheets, you can't buy them in the shop.  It's from your heart.  I hope to see you again soon.  Don't forget me, cause I won't forget you.  Till then, have a very good Christmas, a wonderful new year, be good, take care of yourself and always remember to take care of others too.

Lots of love.

And the children obliged...




It's a little late after Christmas, but the thought is what that matters :) Kindly allow sometime for The Good Samaritan Postman to deliver these thoughts ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment