Monday, December 19, 2011

Thank you, you, you and you.

In these times of abundance, if you really think about it... there's really nothing we need or want that we do not already have.  But the whole idea of Christmas is to forgive, give thanks and give grace.  Turn the other cheek to people who did you wrong (or you think they did you wrong - always give them the benefit of doubt), remember to count all your blessings that made life so convenient and enjoyable and so worth living and most of all, be graceful and try to give others what was given to you.  Sometimes, we're so caught up with Christmas gifts as a gesture, we forget to wrap that warm fuzzy meaning with it.  Of course, there are obligatory gifts but I'm sure there are some which you seriously just couldn't wait to see the person's face lights up when they receive it, right?  Just make sure you have a balance of those and don't get too caught up in the commercial side of this wonderful season.

I've thought about some of the most important things to me when I was trying to think of an idea of spreading Christmas cheer to the needy.  Of course, aside from love, family and friends, what I would rank highly would be rice (white), clean hot showers and sleep.  I seriously think these are pretty fundamental.  So when I came across the sleeping condition of a certain orphanage, my heart just sank.  Their pillows were frail and tiny.  How are these kids gonna get a good rest and seize the next day?  So I thought, well, we will give them new pillows then.  A well-rested mind brings clarity and sense to the day.  But a friend of mine brought up a good point - maybe their priority isn't pillows?  Well, yea maybe.  So finally, I contacted the orphanage and they requested for bedsheets instead.  Because they have... none.  They've been sleeping on bare mattresses all these while!  So by the blessing of God through all you Good Samaritans, bedsheets it is!

But above and beyond the initial thought, word spread and a lot of caring souls started pouring in donations to help water the seed of intention.  I'm amazed, in a span of less than a week, this little idea managed to raise up to RM1,000.  It's not even about buying the pillows and sending them to the orphanage anymore.  It's the very fact that these people I know whom so unconditionally and so generously decided to help make this happen, that I'm truly truly truly truly grateful for.  Everyone knows it's charity but some aren't exactly sure how the money will be spent.  I am immeasurably touched, this warm fuzzy feeling that starts from my heart and buzz up and down my spine, because of the trust and faith they've showered on this project.  And to me, my dear dear dear dearest friends, is the most priceless Christmas gift I have ever received.  Did you know that your money bought not just material items but also an invaluable sense of encouragement to your little friend, me?  It did.  It really did.  It sure did.

For all your hard-earned money, we'll make sure we get there.  By hook or by crook, we'll unwrap those bedsheets and set them on their little beds and wish them a very Merry Christmas.  Unless the Ashram decides to have rice instead, then... oh well, we'll make sure we get there.  By hook or by crook to deliver those rice, put them in the kitchen and wish them a very Merry Christmas :) This is our promise and it shall be the receipt of your love and faith.  Thank you. Xx

Have yourself a merry little Christmas too!

No comments:

Post a Comment